Monday, July 2, 2007

Our Loss Is Heaven's Gain

I was going to post a story about a soldier's funeral in Texas that my good friend Urban Infidel sent me today, but it must go on hold for a day, as I have just learned that the opera world (and the greater world) has lost a true treasure, Beverly Sills.

I am first to admit that I know very little about opera, and I'm not really much of a fan. But, Miss Sills always was someone that I could relate to and enjoyed, ever since I was in short pants. I remember seeing her on television on many occasions, from talk shows like The Tonight Show and Merv Griffin, to variety shows like The Carol Burnett Show and The Muppet Show. And, of course, being a New Yorker, I will always remember her as the Chairman of Lincoln Center and The Metropolitan Opera. She, like her somewhat-contemporary Leonard Bernstein, sought to bring classical music to the masses. She succeeded in so many ways, at least in the case of this hick from Vermont.

Following is her final performance. Though not her most famous portrayal (that being Manon), one can simply listen to the wonderful coloratura of her voice, and smile. This is one of many performances that have been placed on YouTube, many of which were placed there tonight after her passing. I hope you enjoy it, and take home with you what Miss Sills would have wanted most, a desire to learn and hear more of this wonderful artform.



We'll miss you Bubbles!!!

1 comment:

penguinlibrary said...

this is a great tribute to one of New York's true divas. a great lady and a great talent. Heaven has one of its angels back.